Saturday, February 5, 2011

Wet feet is something you get a lot in GeoCaching

During most of the winter I use the bus to get to work. For January the state bus company (Östgötatrafiken) compensated for all those delays this winter but deducting 10% on all their monthly cards. So I decided to go for the state express version, giving access to all trains and busses in the state! Good way to get out and cache....

As that 30 day period is coming to an end it is time to make some last trips. For today I choose Borensberg which is a place I have visited quite a lot but not for geocaching. It is part of the Motala county, and is mostly known for the crossing of Göta Kanal (the Gotia Channel). When it comes to GeoCaching I think that GCWE95 Akvedukten is most well known, I famed 5/5...  Well, I had no plans going for any high terrains this time, just picking up some easy ones.

Another thing Borensberg is famous for, at least in the state, is Husbyfjöl market. Caching during that period is not a good idea as it is hard to avoid mugglers...  At this time of year, the central caches was there for picking. I do recommend visiting Borensberg when the channel is open.

Borensberg included a nice bridge cache (Strömsbron), a fine pier (Piren) cache and a but of railway history in a quick multi (MÖJ 1, "Ankan").  The keeper of the pier spoke about Sea Eagles but I did not see any. Instead I managed to dropp the lid of the pier cache, and the pen, in the water...  So this time I managed to loose someone else things...  Not the first pen I have dropped, not even the first dropped into water.

I had planned to do a 3 hour caching before going back to Linköping. As the caching was good I decided to go for a mystery I had solved. Just 1 km to walk... But that was on a stony road covered with ice!  So it was a bit of a struggle to walk that way. Well, managed to avoid slipping.  When I got to the final location I took the always smart move of reading the logs. The latest one (December 25th) spoke about that it was lucky they brought a snow showel. I had not that kind of equipment. Also it had snowed since then so I could not find any tracks. Oh well, let's return in spring.

So, should I return the same way using the forrest road?  Nah... I decided to go for the jogging track in the forrest instead, it was in the right direction. Luckily it had been prepared for nordic skiing (skate and classical) so it was not so bad.  Getting close to the next cache (Vattentorn, yes! I like those) I had the coice of continuing the long way round, or to take the short cut. The short cut did not look that bad so I choose that one.  Bad move.  Stepping around in half meter deep snow is not my idea of fun. I realized that to next winter I really should get high boots for walking in snow (or snow shoes). The current boots are to low which means that some snow will end up in them, and making my feets wet.

After logging the Water tower I headed back to the bus stop.  Had time to grab a Kebabrulle to eat on the bus; I deserved that after the struggle in the forrest.  Got back to Linköping in time for the 18:30 hockey game between LHC and Luleå.  Good game; tight, close, and exciting.  A 2-1 win after loosing the shots (just 14 shots from LHC during the whole game) is strong. Norrena is really good!

So, in total a nice day, with wet feet. Did not remove my boots until 10 pm...  The day ended on 399 found, so I save #400 for tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. And #400 I did get, "Har du en tråd lös?" which was right up my alley... As it was bright day light for once, I also managed to get that "Kubism" I have failed to find in the darkness.

    When I got home I calculated my stats using FindStats in GSAK. I then noticed that "BBG Vattentorn" mentioned above actually was my #300 when it comes to traditionals. Nicely done, I would say, as I still have 5 months left of my first year as GeoCacher. Should pass 500 trads before then, I hope.

    ReplyDelete