Sunday, February 20, 2011

Solution to the battery problem

Yesterday I had made a plan; To solve my problem with the high battery consumption on my HTC Desire, let's get a backup phone. So I a visited the Net on Net store and bought a Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro (red of course...).  Maybe it's a bit luxurious to buy a second phone, but as my HTC has a hard time charging I need to send it to service for two weeks and I can't stand being smart phone less for two weeks... (Has it come to this? Dependent on being connected all the time? Yup!) Didn't get round to pack it up, though, as I spent the rest of the day with my girl friend and dog.

Today I had another plan; To go on a caching trip to eastern parts of Östergötland. Had to complete that all-counties series.  But I just had to fix this, and that, and install some programs on the new phone etc. So when it was time to go the time had passed... So I went Turfing a couple of hours instead. 

Someone had put a warming thing on the lion

Around 5 a clock the battery of the HTC run out... But the X10 could help out, maybe? Well, for c:geo, yes, but not for Turf which requires Android 2.x (and the Mini had 1.6). So I gave up for the day, I thought, and got on the bus. When I was close to home I just checked the e-mail on the X10; a new cache! The multi cache GN2NDEY Axel Brunskogs skapelser about an architect that has made some of the building in the "sten series". As it is a bit rare for new caches this time of the year (except for mine, that is) everybody will jump the gun, but this had not yet been taken. Hm... 

But not only the phones had low gas, myself as well after walking around the town for 3 hours, feeling a bit tired. So I got back home, upgraded the X10 to Android 2.1, and made some food; wooked Chicken, vegetables and rice, with some semi-dry Apple cider. At 8 pm I checked the cache again. Still not taken, but some problems with the final step it seems, so several of the FTF wannabees had failed to get it. Well, might as well go and have a look, while Turfing some more. 
LFC ladies practices for the CL game against Arsenal.. Notice the finger; one advantage of digital pictures is that you can discard failed photos. But I did not notice my finger..


During this Turf round I used the bike instead of going by foot. At one time here I managed to crash with the bike, and flew other the handlebar, and landed on the ground. Ouch! Had I had more speed I guess hospital would have been the next stop. And the helmet would not have helped here. Riding bikes during this time of year is to beg for trouble....

The Turf round eventually got me to the same parts as the Multi cache (Vasastaden), and I started to follow the steps. When I got to the penultima step the HTC d(r)ied again! I guess GPS + Spotify + c:geo + Turf is not a good combination :-) But now I could use the X10. Just had to configure that, install that, etc (as the phone is wiped when you upgrade its software.) Sigh... At least I discovered that ola&marie had updated the final step. Hm, maybe I will be first after all?

I steared towards the final spot. I had a good idea what the tall thing hinted at, and right I was. When I turned the last corner I saw a typical geoCaher: superchrist, so we joined forces and located the cache at last. So, a happy ending at last. If only I had found a FTF in January....

If I should say something of the X10 Mini Pro as a caching tool, I would say that it is too small. At times I feel that even the HTC screen is too small, and X10 has about the same size as a normal phone. The browser felt a bit slow; maybe it's the processor that is weak? But the keyboard makes it a good choice for logging in the field. The software included in the factory delivery was a bit crappish, but after upgrading it, and the OS to Android 2.1, I think it is OK.


So, what happended to the eastern trip?  Well, I will save it for another day. Maybe next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment