Thursday, December 30, 2010

My first 10 hides

After some months running around (mostly on my trusty bike) I started to be interested in placing my own caches. At the same time the oldest physical cache I had found (GC7168 In Between) was needing maintenance, with the log book wet. The cache was found exactly on the day one month after starting, a bit late if you consider the closeness to home, but I thought it was pity that this almost-10 years old cache would degenerate. I contacted Anton Ymer and asked about it. I suggested adopting the cache, as I thought I could do a better job and also to get practice as a cache maintainer. "Fine... ", said Anton, "... and you can take Becquerel as well". Ok, said I and thought of the old proverb, "Think of what you ask as you can get your wish come true". So, that is the reason I own two caches that I have logged, but the logging was done before I adopted them...

With two trads under the belt it was time to go for the next category; why not a mystery? Influenced by mystery fanatics like tor_selden and jacob8h (see entry on Kvarn event) as well as the Summer mystery series by Team Fetchez La Cache I do enjoy mysteries, but I think that they are often to hard. So why not make a mystery series with mostely easier caches?  Another good reason to make caches is to use you love and knowledge in other areas. In my case the most natural one was games!  Something I have loved since I was a little boy.  For example, the first money I earned (by selling Kvällsposten news papers at the doors, don't remember if I had had my 10th birthday yet) was spent on a board game of Risk (Alga's version).

Unknown Cache


The mysteries with a game theme can be found in this bookmark list. Of these alla the first 5 are games I have spent loads of time on, especially #1, which I spent 30 years to become a grand m
The plan is to continue with the series, and I have ideas to at least double the number. They seem to be appreciated judging by the logs, although I need to improve the hiding spot for one or two of them after the winter ends.

Of course, you can not only put out caches in series, so I added a solitaire one as well, GC2GY6A A Canticle for Leibowitz, which was once more based in an interest I love, namely SF- and Fantasy.

Multi-cache


With the mysteries under the belt I turned my attention to multis. I love good multis, more than most it seems. They often give extra knowledge of an area or place, although they can take some time. Doing good multies is a hard task, but I think I did quite nicely with my complementary Garnisonen cache GC2GY5K Minnesstenar på Garnisonen which was just outside my door...  It shows interesting memorial stones from the previous military installations there. I would love to have included Livgrenadjärmässen but did not know how. Instead I recommend to visit that place with a good guide, preferably an old officer.


Traditional Cache

Doing good traditionals requires a good place, an interesting building or story, or something similar. Just throwing micros around is just good for the statistics. In my case I had a nice place with a good scenery not very far from the city center. As it is placed just outside the Tinnerö area it is rather unknown. I also choose to place a rather large box to make it suitable as a TB Hotel but the place is not that good at winter... so I might have to reconsider that in the future.

The future?
My plan is to reach at least 25 hides during 2011. I have even already acquired the 25 Hide geoCoin....
Here is a list of some of my ideas for 2011:
  • A series of traditionals in the style of Östgötapendeln, leading up to a multi (probably, or must it be mystery?) based on the numbers you collect in the caches. I think this will be 10 caches.'
  • The "Games people play" will at least double in size from the current. If you have ideas for this serie you can contact me.
  • I would not mind enlarging the area of interest for Linköping. Some parts requires more caches.
  • At least one event - an event to "attack" mysteries is planned for 2011-01-23 at DeKlomp in Linköping.
  • Statistics is not everything, of course, but with an event I am up to 4 different caches types. What should I do as the 5th type? How about an Whereigo? Alas, no good idea for this yet,
  • And of course more Multis are needed... I have two almost ready with themes of important Linköping concepts; at least one of these should be obvious ;-)
If all my ideas come true I would come close to 50... So maybe not, or at least not in 2011.


3 comments:

  1. PLEASE hide more and think, west. Put them west. Otherwise I am lost on FTF... West!

    As they say;

    GOOOOO WEST... I have tha album...

    Pet shop boys, that fits me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Village people, I would say. At least that what I danced to at the disco when I was at school...

    Actually I went outside Linköping yesterday to place my first one a bit from home. But no West, rather the reverse.
    I also plan to put some south, maybe this spring. Kisa looks to be virgin territory.

    West? Maybe. Vadstena could use some mystery. We'll see if I bring something to Ödeshög when I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I have 5 more under my belt, making a nice geometric series (1, 2, 4, 8 with event, multi, trad and mystery respectivly). I had had my first cache placed outside Linköping, actually in Söderköping, and also got to adopt a cache 25 km south east of Åtvidaberg.

    I have plans for caches in Kisa, Österbymo, Valdemarsvik, Ödeshög and Motala, so stay tuned. Cannot promise that they will appear on this side of midsummer, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete